This is my new favorite dessert. I’ve made it maybe a dozen times since I first discovered that a can of chickpeas could be used as a substitute for flour in select baked goods. I’ve dished it up to everyone from healthy eaters to baking enthusiasts and not one has complained that it’s too bean-y. In fact, most have reacted with surprise and delight when I tell them that this recipe is built on a foundation of legumes. It’s that good.
Chickpeas & Your Health
Before I handover the recipe, I want to take a moment to give chickpeas the plug they deserve. Packed with protein, high fiber carbohydrate, folate, iron, magnesium, phosphorus and manganese (among other nutrients), chickpeas are truly a nutrition powerhouse.
Furthermore, studies indicate that incorporating chickpeas into you diet can be helpful for :
- Blood glucose control;
- Lowering cholesterol and blood pressure;
- Weight management;
- Protecting against colorectal cancer and;
- Promoting digestive health
Dark Chocolate Chickpea Blondies
Here it is. Embrace the cake-y, chocolate-y, high protein goodness of Chickpea Blondies.
- 1 (15oz/425g) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- ⅓ cup almond butter
- ⅓ maple syrup
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup dark chocolate chips + 2 tbsp for the top
- Coarse salt
- Preheat the oven at 350℉/180℃.
- Line a 8in x 8in (20cm x 20cm) tin with parchment paper.
- Add the chickpeas, almond butter, maple syrup, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, vanilla and egg to a food processor container or a high-powered blender. Pulse 5-10 times to break down the chickpeas, and then process on high until smooth.
- Gently mix the dark chocolate chips into the batter with a spatula.
- Pour the the batter into the lined baking tin. Spread the batter with spatula so you have one even layer covering the bottom of the tin.
- Sprinkle the batter with the remaining chocolate chips and a pinch of coarse salt.
- Insert the tin into the oven, and bake for 20-25 minutes until the batter no longer jiggles. Your blondies should be golden brown around the edges of the tin.
Makes 9-12 squares.
 The Nutritional Value and Health Benefits of Chickpeas and Hummus. Wallace TC, Murray R, Zelman KM. Nutrients. 2016 Nov 29;8(12). pii: E766. Review.