Hello, hello, and happy 2017! I hope you’ve enjoyed a fantastic couple of weeks of feasting, family and friends. I’ve been relatively absent from the blog and Instagram, and feel so much better for it. I love my little corner of the internet but brains, like muscles, need rest and mine was overdue for some downtime! After a solid digital hiatus and a vitamin D top-up (thanks, Aussie summer), I am happy to be back at it.
To kick-off 2017, I am sharing one of my favorite healthy-eating hacks: turning hummus into pasta sauce. It sounds obscure but the end result is a creamy, flavorful sauce that’s become a staple in our home. I love finishing this dish with fresh cherry tomatoes for a pop of sweetness and color.
Bonus: This recipes contains 1.5 cups of kale per serving, and loads of nutrition. For all those that hate the thought of munching on a bowl of kale claiming to be ‘pasta’, let me assure you that this is not the case. Cooking kale mellows both the texture and taste, and there’s just enough in this recipe to get a dose of leafy greens without feeling like you’re eating a bowl of rabbit food.
Stay tuned for more nutrition fun on the blog in 2017. There are so many interesting things happening in wellness right now, and I can't wait to share it all right here.
- 4oz (110g) whole wheat or brown rice spaghetti
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- ¼ cup hummus
- ¼ lemon
- 3 cups kale
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 tbsp feta
- Salt and pepper
- Cook the pasta in salted water according to the instructions on the packet. Drain the pasta, rinse with cold water and set aside.
- Crush and finely chop the garlic.
- Shred the kale, and halve the cherry tomatoes. Set both aside.
- Dice the raw chicken breast into small cubes.
- Place a medium-large non-stick pan on the stove, and turn the stove onto medium heat.
- Add the garlic and olive oil to the pan. Place the pan on the stove and turn the stove on to medium heat. Cook the garlic until golden brown.
- Add the chicken breast to the pan, and cook until browned all over.
- Pour the stock into the pan, along with the hummus. Stir the sauce until the hummus is completely combined.
- Squeeze the lemon over the pan, and season with salt and pepper.
- Turn the heat up to medium-high, and cook until the sauce is approximately 50% reduced.
- Turn the heat back down to medium, and add the shredded kale and pasta to the pan. Cook for another 1-2 minutes to wilt the kale and heat the pasta through.
- Portion the pasta into serving bowls. Halve the cherry tomatoes, and the sprinkle the cherry tomatoes over each bowl.
- Finish with crumbled feta and dig in!