As I write this post, I am making my way home from work on Caltrain. We just passed SFO where I caught a glimpse of a red and white Qantas tail poking above the terminal; a lovely reminder that home (Sydney) is not too far away.
The next couple of weeks will be filled with trips back and forth to the airport. This weekend I am off to Austin, next weekend Boston, and the weekend after that I will be boarding the mothership to Sydney.
I am slightly daunted by the packing, and unpacking, loads of laundry, work and chores that need to be done between trips, but excited for the adventures ahead. Stay tuned for more updates here and on the ‘gram!
In the meantime, here’s a little gem from the Clark kitchen. After some tweaking and fine tuning, this got the seal of the approval from my partner-in-crime, and chief taste-tester, Ethan. It’s full of seasonal ingredients, and turns the house into a sweet-smelling haven. It covers all the food groups, and offers a host of nutrients including fiber, vitamin C, vitamin A, folate, vitamin K, and quercetin (just to name a few). Enjoy!
- 2 small sweet potatoes
- 2 medium apples
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Salt, dash
- Pepper dash
- Garlic powder, sprinkle
- ½ cup fennel, thinly sliced
- 4 cups mixed greens (I used Organic Girl Supergreens)
- ¼ cup shaved parmesan
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp honey
- Preheat the oven the 450F/230C.
- Line a large baking tray with aluminium foil. Grease the tray with 1 tsp of olive oil.
- Core and cut the apples into ½ cm (¼ inch) thick slices. Place the apple slices in a mixing bowl.
- Slice the sweet potatoes into ½ cm (¼ inch) thick discs, then cut the discs in half. Place the sweet potato slices in the mixing bowl with the apples.
- Add the cinnamon to the mixing bowl. Toss the sweet potatoes and apples to coat in cinnamon.
- Spread the sweet potato and apple slices on the baking tray, and season with salt. Set the apple and sweet potato aside while you prepare the chicken.
- Line another baking tray with aluminium foil. Grease the baking tray with 1 tsp of olive oil. Season the chicken breasts with salt, pepper, and garlic powder on both sides. Place the seasoned chicken breasts on the baking tray.
- Insert the chicken, sweet potatoes, and apples into the oven. Bake the chicken, sweet potatoes and apples for 30 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165F/74C and the sweet potatoes/apples are soft.
- While the chicken, sweet potato and apple are baking, thinly slice the fennel, and add the fennel, mixed greens, and parmesan to a salad bowl .
- Whisk together the apple cider vinegar, olive oil (1 tsp), dijon mustard, and honey together in a small bowl.
- Scatter the cooked sweet potato and apple slice over the mixed greens. Pour the dressing over the salad, and toss the salad gently to mix through.
- Allow the chicken to cool slightly, and then slice into thin pieces. Place the chicken on top of the salad. Bon appétit!