This sweet and savory salad showcases fresh summer peaches, and avocado, and is the perfect pairing with grilled chicken or pork. Best of all, it only requires 7-ingredients, and one of those is olive oil. Bring on the summer nights in San Francisco-- we are well and truly ready for some warm weather.
Strangely enough we don’t get much of a summer in San Francisco. The days in July and August often start with thick fog rolling in from the Pacific, and the thermometer hovers around 20℃/68℉. While other parts of the country are scorching hot from late May onwards, we typically have to wait to September for a handful of jacketless, summery days in San Francisco.
As I patiently wait for these sundress days to arrive this year, I’ve been bringing summer to our meals at home. I served up this fresh peach salad as a side to pulled chicken, smothered in barbecue sauce. It was a delicious, savory way to use up the spare peaches knocking around the fruit bowl.
- 3 ripe yellow peaches
- ¼ cup red onion
- ½ avocado
- 2 tbsp crumbled feta
- 1 tbsp cilantro
- 1-2 tsp lime juice
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- Remove the pits from the peaches and slice into thin wedges.
- Slice the red onion into paper thin slices.
- Remove the pit and skin from the avocado. Thinly slice the avocado.
- Finely chop the cilantro.
- Arrange the peaches and avocado on a serving platter or in a shallow dish.
- Sprinkle the red onion, crumbled feta, and cilantro over the peaches and avocado.
- Drizzle the salad with lime juice and olive oil. Refrigerate until serving. Serve the same day.
Serves 2 as a side.