Growing up in Australia, there was no shortage of sun. Every Christmas we made our annual pilgrimage to Noosa for our family beach holiday. I have great memories of these holidays. My younger brother and I spent most of our days bouncing between the beach and the pool, with brief interludes for gelato, and parent-imposed breaks from the sun. The days started and ended with the sound of crashing waves. Amazing.
Noosa is still my idea of paradise. Shouldered by parkland on either side, it boasts a gorgeous beach, incredible food, a string of chic boutiques, and a relaxed beach-y vibe. It’s the kind of place that inspires you to trade-in city life for a wardrobe full of linen, daily swims, and permanently salt-tousled hair.
Recently, I have been craving sun and saltwater. Spring has been volatile in SF, and I am ready to feel the warm kiss of the sun more often. When you can’t depend on the weather, sometimes you just have to bring the season to your plate.
Here’s my delicious, relatively effortless simple summer salad:
- 2 chicken breasts
- Caribbean seasoning (I used this one, but you can make your own using this recipe)
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 2 medium tomatoes (preferably heirloom)
- 1 large mango
- ½ avocado
- 1 lime
- 4 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 sprigs of cilantro (coriander)
- Preheat the oven to 375F/180C
- Use 2 tsp of olive oil to grease a baking dish large enough for the two chicken breasts.
- Sprinkle the Caribbean seasoning over the chicken breast on both sides.
- Place the chicken breasts in the oven, and cook until it reaches an internal temperature of 165F/74C (usually 25-30 minutes).
- While the chicken is cooking, dice the tomatoes and mango.
- Cut the avocado into thin slices.
- Take out two serving bowls, and place half the spinach in each bowl.
- Arrange the mango, tomato and avocado over the spinach in each bowl.
- Cut the lime into quarters and squeeze 1 quarter over each bowl.
- The drizzle the remaining 2 tsp of olive oil over each salad.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and allow it to cool for 5 minutes.
- Slice the chicken into thin strips, and place on top of each salad.
- Garnish each salad with cilantro and remaining lime.