Earlier this week I arrived home to a package of Zespri Sungold kiwi samples for the Recipe Redux/Zespri Sungold kiwi challenge. These adorable fruit came nestled in foam, accompanied by a teaspoon for scooping out the sweet, golden flesh. What a treat!
I have only ever enjoyed kiwi on top of a pavlova, or cut in half as an afternoon snack, but this month’s recipe challenge encouraged me to think more broadly about their flavor, texture and application.
Zespri Sungold kiwis have a bright flavor and a delicate flesh, that requires gentle handling. I chose to pair my Sungold samples with the subtle, creamy flavor of fresh mozzarella, and sweet-smelling basil to bring out the best in these vitamin-C rich fruit. The result is a surprisingly delicious and fruity take on bruschetta. Check it out!
- 16 whole grain crackers
- 4oz (112g) fresh mozzarella
- 2 Zespri Sungold kiwi
- 8 (small) basil leaves
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Peel the Zespri Sungold kiwifruit. Slice each kiwifruit into 4-5 slices. Cut each slice in half.
- Cut each basil leaf in half across the middle.
- Cut the mozzarella into 2 slices. Chop each slice into four quarters
- Place the crackers on a serving platter. Top each cracker with mozzarella, half a basil leaf and half a slice of kiwi.
- Drizzle each cracker with extra virgin olive oil, and enjoy!
Makes 16 bruschetta crackers.
Disclosure: I received free samples of Zespri SunGold Kiwifruit mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by Zespri Kiwifruit and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.