- 1 cup canned black beans, drained
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- Pinch of salt
- 1 mango
- ½ ripe avocado
- 3 oz (85g) fresh mozzarella
- 2 whole wheat tortilla or brown rice tortillas
- ½ cup salsa
- Open the can of black beans. Drain and rinse the black beans thoroughly. Pat dry with a paper towel.
- In small bowl, combine the black beans, ground cumin, dried oregano, and a pinch of salt. Toss the ingredients to combine, and set aside.
- Cut the cheeks off the mango. Peel the mango flesh away from the skin (use this killer trick), and slice the mango into thin strips.
- Thinly slice the mozzarella.
- Remove the pit and skin from the avocado. Place the avocado in a small bowl and roughly mash with a fork.
- Lay the tortillas flat on two separate plates. Spread the mashed avocado on one half of each tortilla.
- Spoon the black beans over the mashed avocado, so that you are beginning to form a pile of ingredients on one side of each tortilla.
- Place slices of mango over the black beans on each tortilla.
- Tear the slice of mozzarella and sprinkle evenly over the mango slices on each tortilla.
- Heat a large non-stick pan for 1 minutes or so over medium heat, and slide one tortilla into the pan. Using a spatula, fold the empty half of the tortilla over the pile of fillings.
- Press the tortilla down with the spatula, and cover with a saucepan lid approximately the diameter of the tortilla. Cook until the bottom side of the tortilla begins to brown, and flip. Repeat with the other side.
- Cook until the cheese begins to ooze from the quesadilla, and both sides are golden brown. Remove the cooked quesadilla from the pan.
- Repeat the process with the second tortilla.
- Cut the quesadillas into wedges, and serve with salsa (for dipping). Enjoy the fiesta!
To learn more about the power of pulses check out this article.